Any drunk driving charges can lead to driver’s license suspension and other serious consequences. The most important thing to know about drunk driving accusations is this: you should always make an informed decision about contesting a DUI charge. An experienced attorney will be your advocate and guide you through the criminal proceedings and the administrative Department of Motor Vehicles process.
At the Law Office of Jonathan M. Harvey in South Carolina, I have protected my clients’ rights against DUI charges for over 35 years. I will look at every possible defense and aggressively fight the charges against you. Call 803-779-3363 or contact me online to find out how I can defend you against drunk driving accusations.
Drunk Driving With Other Factors Involved
Sometimes, people who face drunk driving charges must also contend with complications to their cases due to issues that include:
- Repeat offenders — I review previous convictions to determine if they are appropriate to enhance your case. I will also work to mitigate the charges at hand, carefully reviewing for inconsistencies in the prosecution’s case against you.
- Children in the vehicle — Involving children or minors in a car accident may result in a separate charge.
- DUI while driving on a restricted or suspended or revoked license — I will investigate the circumstances surrounding the suspension of your license and how they apply to the case at hand.
DUI Charges Are Unique
Most criminal charges only begin one legal process: the criminal defense process. Drunk driving charges can affect your life in three ways, instead of just one:
- Criminal component: Like any other criminal accusation, DUI charges need to be fought in the criminal process. I will zealously protect your rights in negotiation and in the criminal courtroom.
- Administrative aspect: DUI charges set a DMV process in motion. I will help you protect your driver’s license so that you can continue to drive to work, support your family and live your life.
- Insurance matters: DUI is one of the few criminal charges that can cause your car insurance rates to skyrocket. If you are convicted, you will need to have expensive high-risk SR-22 insurance.
I understand the impact a drunk driving conviction will have on your life. And I am prepared to protect you in every aspect. These charges can be even more severe if you are charged with an aggravated DUI or felony DUI.
Fighting Drunk Driving Charges
Even the first DUI conviction can have serious consequences, so it is important to make a knowing assessment of the DUI charge. As your attorney, I will look at your case and aggressively defend you. Common issues may include:
- Was your arrest proper? Did the officer have probable cause to stop you?
- Was the breath test properly administered?
- Are there other legal or evidentiary issues in the case that need to be fully explored?